A Series Capacitor is not included in the list of ETAP elements in the AC Edit Toolbar. However, it doesn’t mean that we can’t include a series capacitor in our one-line diagram and simulation. This is because modeling a series capacitor in ETAP is very easy using a simple trick.
The purpose of this tutorial is to illustrate the steps on how to model a series capacitor in ETAP with the help of an impedance branch.
1. To add an element, make sure that you are in Edit Mode. If not, click the Edit button on the Mode toolbar (pencil icon).
2. Select an impedance branch on the AC Edit toolbar, and then place it on the One-Line View (OLV). Please refer to the figure below.
3. Double click on the impedance branch to open the Element Editor.
4. Go to the Rating Tab and make sure to select the unit as Ohms first before making any changes in the R, X and Y values.
5. To model a series capacitor, the trick is to enter NEGATIVE reactance (X) and set the resistance (R) value to ZERO.
6. Click OK
In this post, modeling a series capacitor in ETAP was discussed using an impedance branch with a negative reactance.